If you’re involved in any part of your company’s supply chain, the following may sound familiar to you. Where is my order? Why is it late and when will it arrive? Why didn’t the vendor let us know and what can I tell my client? Who is responsible and what is this delay going to cost?
Implementing a purchase order (P.O.) tracking and management system will help you to answer these difficult questions. But choosing and implementing the right system for your business is tricky for any organisation and will ultimately require a change in processes.
Across all sectors within the supply chain industry, the need for transparency, efficiency and cost savings is growing. Increased demands from internal and external customers and the need for a competitive edge are driving many freight forwarders to look for a P.O. management system that provides capabilities to provide visibility, real-time updates and amendment capabilities on-demand.
P.O. management systems have developed greatly in recent years; they provide fast, thorough answers to customers; cloud-based solutions (SaaS) enable companies to manage the entire order lifecycle and control information, manage cargo flows, and reduce the total cost of products without a lengthy technical implementation project.
For a cloud based P.O. tracking and management system to deliver the greatest benefits, it’s essential to establish a framework for successful deployment to the wide range of users, in your environment.
The following steps for implementing a PO management and tracking system will ensure total success:
- Establish implementation team – make sure that all the stakeholders inside your business and supply chain have input
- Set project timelines – Lay out a schedule for weekly updates and project management reports
- Initiate Project – Hold a kick-off meeting to gather the necessary information & begin the project
- Create a Scope of Works – Document the work to be undertaken; this is often open to change, up to the point that the SOP (standard operating procedures) is approved
- Design the Program – Ensure all your account requirements are considered
- Set out Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) – Ensure all operations and accounting functions are provisioned
- Integrate System – Once the solution has been configured and implemented, migrate data using EDI and/or xml
- Launch your new cloud-based, PO tracking and management solution
- Review Program – Utilise Audits, KPIs and Score Carding before you transition to ongoing Account Management using your new system
Are you looking at a cloud based solution for managing shipments?
Do you have to stay on top of multiple customers, supply chain partners and vendors?
Is your organisation looking to demo a cloud-based PO tracking and management solution?